Y'hee l'Tanin (Vo'eira 7:9)
Pick your Parshanut Preference
1. Rashi states that the tanin is a SNAKE
2. R' Hirsch and others call the tanin a CROCODILE.
Advantages to #1
- It matches the symbol in Parshat Sh'mot: 4:3
- Rashi says so
- In Parshat Sh'mot, it SAYS Nachash - but here says it's a Tanin. Given the use of two words, we naturally expect a distinction!
- Crocodiles were symbols of Egypt, so this would have been more symbolic. As Haftarah Vo'eira [EZE 29:3] says TaniM that is HaRoveitz. Crocodiles crouch, snakes don't
- If you read Taninim in Parshat Breishit 1:21 as great lizards, this matches it a bit better